Aromatherapy 100 Course Certificate
ABOUT THE COURSE | The Aromatherapy 100 Course is designed to provide an introduction to the basic arts and sciences of aromatherapy and essential oils for the beginning to intermediate student, in the context of Vitalist herbalism. The course includes both classroom lectures and hands-on experience, along with a variety of lecture formats and labs. Students will learn the history and chemistry of essential oils, EO Materia Medica, blending / formulation, product creation, and clinical skills for the practicing aromatherapist. The course also includes a basic introduction to the anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology of the relevant body systems as they are affected by essential oils.
Aromatherapy 100 qualifies as an approved course by the National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA). Its unique focus on understanding aromatherapy in the context of Western herbalism and Vitalist health practices will enhance the education of both aromatherapists and herbalists as well as other holistic health care practitioners. Environmental sensitivity and sustainability (e.g., regenerative cultivation of essential oil-bearing plants and avoiding the use of threatened or endangered species) are key considerations in the Materia Medica chosen for our curriculum.
Classes meet Tuesday evenings, 6-9 pm, over a span of 23 weeks, with two 6-hour workshops/labs, one Saturday in June, and one Saturday in July. There are two individual weeks within the course that are devoted to guided and graded Independent Case Study Projects, as well as a guided independent study on Research Review, Home Play, and Creative Projects. This course includes a total of 60 lecture hours and 64 lab hours.
- History of Aromatics; Intro to EOs; EO Safety; EO Materia Medica, 3 hours
- Comparison of Botanical Therapeutics; EO Materia Medica, 3 hours
- Overview of Pharmacokinetics, EO Safety; EO Materia Medica, 3 hours
EO Materia Medica, 3 hours
- EO Sourcing and Sustainability; Botany of EO-bearing Plants and Trees; EO Materia Medica, 3 hours
- The Olfactory system; Memory and Brain Function; EO Materia Medica, 3 hours
- The Respiratory & Nervous systems; EO Materia Medica, 3 hours
- Immune system; PNI; Holism in Aromatherapy, 3 hours
- Mid-term exam, 3 hours
- The Integumentary system; EO Materia Medica; Carrier Oils, 3 hours
- The Circulatory and Lymphatic systems; EO Materia Medica; 3 hours
- Musculoskeletal system and Reproductive System; EO Materia Medica, 3 hours
- Urinary & Digestive systems: EO Materia Medica, 3 hours
- Endocrine system; EO Materia Medica; Intro to Chemistry, 3 hours
- Foundations of Organic Chemistry: Functional Groups & Constituents, 3 hours
- Chemistry of Essential Oils; Analytical Techniques; Research Skills, 3 hours
- Applied Aromatherapy; Consultation Skills;
Ethics; EO Blending, 3 hours
- Blending 1 and Applied Aromatherapy II; Carrier Oils, 3 hours
- Applied Aromatherapy; Consultation skills Lab, 3 hours
- Workshop: Carrier Oils; EO Blending;
Applied Aromatherapy, 6 hours
- Workshop: Hydrosols; Distillation Processes; Subtle Aromatherapy, 6 hours
- Presentations: Creative Projects and Research Review, 3 hours
- Business Skills; Marketing and Claims; Final Exam, 3 hours
- Independent Study: Essential Oil of the Month Projects, 20 hours
- Independent Study: Case Studies, 10 hours
- Independent Study: Research Review, 2 hours
- Independent Study: Creative Project, 2 hours
- Independent Study: Home Play, 15 hours
Total Certificate Hours: 124 Hours
Instructor | Kat Delaney, Certified Clinical Aromatherapist, CCH, CN
Kat is the Director of the CSCH Aromatherapy course. Her interest in herbal therapeutics and healing modalities began in 1992 with a focus on Aromatherapy and later developed into a fascination with herbalism and nutrition. Over the years she has studied the art, science, and safety of essential oils, medicine-making, and herbalism with various teachers. In 2011, she became certified as a Clinical Aromatherapist through the Institute of Integrative Aromatherapy (with Laraine Pounds, RN, MSN, CMT). Kat is a certified Level 2 NAHA member.
In 2015, moved by the plethora of questionable information on the internet and the increasingly unsafe use of essential oils by the public, Kat developed Esenta, The Aromaticum App as a means to provide safe and reliable information on the therapeutic uses and dilutions of EO. Kat then continued her studies in the healing arts at CSCH, where she earned her certifications in Clinical Herbalism and Nutrition. She currently lectures on various topics in the CSCH Fundamentals and Advanced programs, writes articles on aromatherapy, and offers workshops to students and the public on topics including medicine-making, EO safety and toxicology, and comparing herbalism with aromatherapy. In addition to her focus on education, Kat offers all-natural body care products, custom natural perfumes, and holistic health support through her business, Roots of Alchemy / Esenta, LLC.
For more information, call us at 720.406.8609
or email Info@ClinicalHerbalism.com